The Rube Golberg
The Rube Goldberg is a project on physics of motion such as conservation of momentum, velocity, and potential energy. We build our own contraptions and we then calculate some of the physics.
#1: Today I will cut out my fins, get the strings for my parachute, and attach them.
#2: Launch Day
#3: Glue Chamber together with epoxy and hot glue styrofoam to nose cone.
#4: Launch day.
#5: Forgot Chamber at dads can't do much. Planned connection for parachute to rocket will consist of cap and fishing string.
#6: Three day weekend. Still no chamber. Did nothing, but stand around and look over others projects.
#7: Got chamber, glue is stiff. Put together fins w/ dowel for more stability and surface area, hot glue. Dave is going to be gone the next couple of days. We will watch October Sky till Friday. Monday is not known. Will be back Tuesday next week.
#8: Glue on fins with HOT GLUE :0. Messed up body, but can deal.
#9: Launch day. Finally get to launch rocket. Parachute doesn't deploy and goes sideways.
After the launch I felt a little disappointed in myself and the rocket. I think that if the parachute had deployed I may have felt better about my rocket. I also wish it had stayed straight and not curved. There was a nice little leak that had found itself my rocket and was pretty well hidden. That is why I didn’t put too much pressure in to the rocket and decided to go with 60 - 65. The day before I had elongated the nose cone so that the “parachute” would deploy and fit in side.
The rockets features were great, except for the “parachute”. I think that I did do a good paint job though for “The Lone Wolf.” The paint was a reference to Poochyena a Pokemon in the earlier games on the GBA. Also the rocket was very aerodynamic and looked pretty profesional. It also had a washer in the nozzle that I hoped would have made it fly better, but it might have not been on right thus propelling it in another direction than the path supposed to been taken.
Geoffrey's rocket, from 53m away, was measured at an angle of 43 degrees. Thus if we put that measurement in as Tan 43˚ = H/53. Lets turn that Tan in to decimal, 0.933. So then you multiply each side by 53 so that (0.933)53 = (H/53)53 then turns in to 49.423m and that is how high my rocket went.